Monday, April 13, 2009

Butt Breaker Triathlon

The first triathlon of the season came and I could not be any more happier! I heart triathlons (and I love John Emmett for introducing me to them).
The triathlon is actually called the Ice Breaker Triathlon but due to an accident last year where I crashed on my bike and tore up my butt it has now been renamed. I will start off by saying that as I took that frightful corner not once but twice I made sure to go slow so I would not ruin another racing suit. The other reason was so Ryanne would not consider herself a curse. She surprised me last year for this race by flying out from Seattle to cheer me on. The excitement was so much that I did not focus on the race as much as I just wanted to show her how good I portrayed myself to be. In doing so I did not even finish the race.
It is always a cold day but that just adds to the excitement. As the race started I had a small but powerful cheering squad, Ryanne, Chad and Blake. The swim was in an indoor pool so that was very nice. Once you stepped outside dripping wet the good feelings froze. But those feelings were over shadowed by my sister and her family cheering me on. They suprised me and their cheers were very welcomed and appreciated. Next on to the bike. This was no bueno. First of all my biking sucks and then to add cold everything makes it even worse. I started and felt good for the first 500 feet till I was passed. For the rest of the bike I just kept telling myself that I get to run next. Luckly I only had a handful of other racers pass me.
No one but myself knew of the joy and excitment that was running through my body as I got off my bike and put on my running shoes. I always look forward to this point. I got changed and was off. The run was a 5k. I felt great and finished 6th. My time was about :30 faster then 2 years ago. I had the fastest run of the day and that is one thing I try to accomplish each time. I can't for next years Butt Breaker or the rest of this season.
Going from my swim to my bike.

According to Ryanne this is my best side. Who can argue with that ?

Finishing the first of 2 loops. I had just come from the dreaded
Butt Breaker corner and survived!

Finishing the second loop and seeing the transtion area.
Success once again for not being taken out on the Butt Breaker corner.

I told you this is my favorite part. This is me about 5 feet from the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment