Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Valentine's Day- 2


After our full day of skiing we were extremely tired and ended up sleeping in the next morning. I don't know why I don't do this more often. We ate at the lodge, attended sacrament meeting and then decided we should go out and enjoy our surroundings. We drove up to Targhee Canyon and found many cars parked by a gate with many tracks heading into the woods and decided this is where we wanted to go snowshoeing. It was beautiful, sunny and and not too cold according to me, Ryanne thought it was freezing. As we were getting our stuff on I couldn't seem to get my shoes tightened. As any smart person would do I found myself pulling harder because that meant it would tighten up. Well guess who broke his snowshoe. I didn't let it get me down and put it on the best I could and started off. We did not follow any trails. We made our own. It was so much fun. Yes, my shoe kept falling off and finally said the heck with it and took them both off and followed Ryanne. You will see in the pictures how sucky it was from that point until we got to the car (it did turn out to be a great work out).
The highlight of the trek was on our way back as we were crossing a frozen streem. It was not deep but the water was freezing. Ryanne was very cautious crossing and I threw caution to the wind. She was feeling the ice out as she crossed. I on the other hand followed her with the occasional hard stomp down to see if I could get a feel of how deep it was. Well I found a thin spot and all of a sudden herd the most terrifying sound ever. . . . ice cracking under your feet. Next thing you know the ice breaks and I have to jump and when I land I seem to find another weak spot and the cracking continues. All this time Ryanne has jumped to the bank and is safe. I finally got to where Ryanne was and all I could say was, "That was COOL!" She thinks I'm crazy.
After snowshoeing we left to visit my aunt in Idaho Falls. It just so happened to be my cousin Heather's birthday. It was good to see my cousins due to the fact that it had been forever since I last saw them. We were having such a great time it was 8:15 before we knew it and still had to drive home. We got in about 12. It was a great trip and can't wait for our next one.


Us outside the Lodge


Snowshoeing


Ryanne all bundled up and ready for anything that comes her way.


This is how deep the snow was. You would never have known with snowshoes on.

1 comment: