My family (minus a few members) met in St.George on Easter weekend. We decided a few months earlier that it would be fun to get together and go somewhere warm in the spring. We lucked out because the weather was nice except for Saturday morning. Our weekend was filled with lots of hiking, game playing, and family quality time. We had a blast and can't wait for next years family vacation.
Our big hike was Angels Landing which from far away doesn't seem too intense but once you get upclose you start to question yourself. It was a good work out the whole way up but what probably helped us get to the top was Casey and Levi's funny comments. Probably one of the most killer parts of the hike were the neverending switchbacks. Just when we thought we were finished we realized there were more. The real challenge to this hike was the last 1/2 mile which was shear rock on both sides with only a few ropes to hold onto (photo below). I'd liked to think that I wasn't the only one hoping that we'd turn back. My dad, Levi, Riki, Casey and I started the last 1/2 mile with the intention of only going a little ways. We made a pack that if anyone at any point felt uncomfortable or wanted to turn back that we all would. That never happened because all of us are competitive and wanted to say that we finished the hike. I do have to admit that there were times that I felt like giving up.
The brave finishers!
Thanks to our awesome gorilla (camera tripod that wraps around anything) we were able to get a picture of all of us at the top of Angels Landing.
A view of the valley from the very top
Casey risking his life for no good reason! Between him and Riki we had multiple heart attacks at the top. Both of them had no fear of falling off the edge or at least that is the vibe they were putting off.
Riki standing as close to the edge as possible. At one point she was jumping up and down.
Casey wanting me to smile along this terrifying hike. How could I smile when I was peeing my pants? And, yes we were on a flat surface but only for that minute. The rest of the way was straight up.
Casey and I taking a breather along the hike up.
Karen hiding in a crack and scaring people as they went by. Okay, so she never actually scared anyone because she's too nice but it would have been hilarious if she would have. No one could see her in that little crack.
Casey and I at the end of the hike. Tired but thrilled we completed it!
It is an amazing hike! Well worth the swithbacks and scary near death experiences along the way :)
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you had an amazing time! How fun! I'm glad I was able to find your blog and see how you're doing :) By the way, this is your cousin, Ashley Smith (now Ashley Carroll). I hope all is fabulous for you both in married life. Mike and I think it's the best! :) love ya, cuz :)
ReplyDelete